Saturday, March 20, 2010

baking and more baking.

Sigh. I remember when I used to put my boys down for a nap and then I would take one too. No longer. Now I do a lot of catching up on my cleaning, because I do all my baking during that time slot now. Sigh.

Oh one hand I'm finally figuring out what my 3 year old can do with me and it's been a blast baking with him. Plus he LOVES it. My almost 2 year old isn't really interested so as long as there's something else for him to do he's happy. So it's something nice that Gabe and I can share. But on the other hand, as much as I really do love to bake, it's a PITA to have to bake pretty much everyday. Today I am making my first Namaste bread. It's been easy. The only thing I worry about is my egg substitute. I use apple sauce and this recipe calls for 1 egg and then 3 egg whites. So I used my better homes cook book to figure out that 2 egg whites equal 1 egg. Then I use 1/4 a cup of applesauce to sub for each egg. So I ended up with 5/8 a cup of applesauce. Hopefully it turns out well. (I think all the math was there! LMAO!)

Also my boys finished off yet another batch of muffins today. (I freeze them and they seem to last about 3 days so 4 muffins a day, 2 for each boy) So I have to make those in a little while.

Freezing is my new best friend. I have to get one of those handy vac food bag things though! I managed to freeze half the pizza I made the other day and it's nice because I can just pull out one piece at a time or so. Plus I freeze brownies and since we aren't a huge sweets and candies house I only do 1 every few days. (I cut them big enough that the boys are content with half of one). Plus I've got the ice cream.

It's nice that I now know EVERY SINGLE thing that we put in our bodies. I always wanted to be that kind of a super healthy mom, but never got around to it. And I'm sure not having so many chemicals in our bodies is gonna be great, but boy is it work! But well I can feed my kids 3 meals a day and a snack and not have to worry about it causing another trip to the ER.

Lately we've been doing plain yogurt with frozen blueberries or muffins for breakfast (often both with how Gabe's eating) Then pizza or fruit for lunch and then for dinner we often do rice chicken and peas or some other veggie or I make plain hamburgers (now I have bread for them! Next I tackle ketchup) Followed by ice cream, or a brownie, (I'm gonna make cookies today maybe too to freeze)

It's not a huge variety, but it's balanced meals. Oh and I also found a pasta I have to order! Then we can add that in! First I have to find a sauce that's either really cheap and everything free OR a really easy recipe that makes large batches that I can freeze. (I like baking, but I'm not nuts, I don't want to have to make 5 things everyday. Freezing is my friend! LOL!)

No comments:

Post a Comment