Friday, January 21, 2011

Scared.

Anaphylaxis is highly likely to be occurring when any ONE of the following happens within minutes to hours after ingestion of the food allergen:

1. A person has skin symptoms or swollen lips and either :

•Difficulty breathing, or
•Reduced blood pressure (e.g., pale, weak pulse, confusion, loss of consciousness)
2. A person was exposed to a suspected allergen, and two or more of the following occur:

•Skin symptoms or swollen lips
•Difficulty breathing
•Reduced blood pressure
•Gastrointestinal symptoms (i.e., vomiting, diarrhea, or cramping)
3. A person was exposed to a known allergen, and experiences:

•reduced blood pressure


I got this off the FAAN website. Yea Gabe is now anaphylaxis to mold. :*( My mom saw me give him homemade cheese last night (it was crumbled) and thought it was feta. So today she let him have some. Within minutes he told her his throat felt funny and that he couldn't breath. Then he vomited everywhere and got hives all over. We gave him benadryl and took him to the er. He's ok now. A little scared but he did fine and was playing at the hospital, then at bedtime he was overtired and crying because he was tired and he told me he didn't like feta cheese. Poor kid.

Also we've decided to get ride of our cats. Gabe has a level 1 allergy to them, but Sami is starting to show signs of being allergic to them so it's just time to say goodbye. Today was just a really sucky day all around allergy wise.

I have to admit I'm going through a lot of emotions about all this. When it first happened I just did what I had to do to make him ok. After it was over I was kinda numb for a few hours. Then I got so sad. I mean it's not really a big difference from what it was before. We were always scared it would get to this point, but now it IS at this point. My poor baby. And oh my gosh, what will happen the next time he has an exposure? What if someone has blue cheese at lunch? What if I kiss him after eating feta cheese? (will never happen now, but you get my point) I'm scared!!! I've always dealt with his allergies without being so worried, when we did the allergy testing last year I was overwhelmed, but never scared.

I'm scared now. What if my baby stops breathing?!?!?!?! That didn't happen today, but it so very easily could have. The dr. said that it was lucky that he puked everything up, she said it probably helped a lot. Thank you GOD he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment