Monday, May 10, 2010

Language Alert

Ok, so honestly I'm not a big fan of rasberries. My hubby however LOVES them. So I went and got stuff to make rasberry jam the other day and figured, he'd love it and that could be something special for him (and the boys of course).

I made the jam yesterday. I used the liquid pectin, which I was nervous about, because I had never used it before.

Well today I checked on them. When you hold the jar upside down, nothing moves. :) So I figured I'll make a rasberry peanutbutter sandwich while the boys are sleeping. Oh...My...Fucking....God!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOD! I'm thinking I might hide all 5 jars (little jars) away from the kids and hubby and eat it all myself!

I did 4 cups mushed rasberries, 4 cups sugar, a dash of lemon juice and the liquid pectin 1 pouch.

Mash the berries in the pan after you have cleaned them. Add pectin and lemon juice put on high heat stirring constantly, til you get a rapid boil (it boils even when you stir) then add the sugar and stir very well. Keep stirring until you get a rapid boil again. Then leave it alone for 1 minute. Then pour into jars.

I used little jars so I could just boil them in a regular deep pot. I let them boil for about 6-8 minutes I think. Then I took them out of the hot water and let them sit for 3-4 hours to cool down to about room temp. Then I threw them in the fridge. They were perfect before 12. This gave me a little over 5 cups or so. Fit perfectly in 5 small jars that I get when I buy the fruit in glass jars at stop and shop! (I save them all!)

So you figure 12 bucks for all the berries (YIKES I know) I want to say about 5 bucks for 2 pouches of pectin, but since I only used 1 figure 2.50 and then 4 cups of sugar 2.50 a bag 10 cups a bag .25 a cup= 1 dollar in sugar. 15.5 per batch I spent (jars are free since I buy the fruit in them and then just save them) so 3.10 a jar of rasberry jam. Not too shabby. It would also be cheaper if I bought the liquid pectin in bulk and the fruit at the farmer's market once it starts. Mmmm

Anyways I just wanted to share with you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment