Monday, December 6, 2010

Juice

The other day I got a juicer from freecycle.com (love it) I looked it up, it's a 220.00 machine. :O So today I went and bought about 11 bucks worth of fruit. Ended up with 6 apples, 3 kiwi, 1 avacado, 2 pears, 2 bananas, and 1 mango. (oh I also added a little bit of pinapple juice I had leftover from a can of pinapples) Peeled and chopped it all up and ran it through. It took a while (of course I took my time to ensure I didn't loose a finger in front of the kids) and I ended up with only 1/4 a pitcher of juice!!! Plus a big gulp sized cup of slush. Now the juice is awesome!!!!! But just not cost efficient. But then I realized that if I run the slush through a cheese cloth to get out the kiwi seeds I'll have the PERFECT fruit puree to make ice cream with!!!!! So that makes the cost better. Or I could add milk and make a smoothie and that makes it even better cost wise.









So the verdict is that the juice is great and I know it's totally safe for Gabe! But it's very expensive. Next time I'll wait for the fruit to be in season so it's cheaper and I'll go to the farmers market and see if I can get a deal buying bruised fruit :) See if that can cut costsin half. And next time I probably won't use avacado. It tastes great, but it doesn't blend all the way and makes the juice have tiny chunks.

No comments:

Post a Comment