Friday, February 11, 2011

Family Pressure

So the other night we went out to dinner as a family. We've been VERY slowly adding in small amounts of his allergens that he recently tested negative for. VERY slowly. I am actually okay with the corn, wheat and egg ones. They were not life threatening and so in my thinking it would stink if he had a reaction to them, but it would not be the end of the world.

HOWEVER the nuts and soy (and def the mold so no trials on that one)allergies were bad. Horrible hives all over, swelling of his legs etc. Yes on the spt he came back negative, but we all know those tests aren't the perfect answer we would like. I'm VERY nervous about giving him these.

So we went out to dinner with my husband my boys and my mom. I of course ask for the allergy menu and start looking for something with no soy. My mom starts giving me crap. He tested negative, just take the plunge! Let him try it!!! Etc. Now yes, I do need to give in and eventually do it. BUT ON MY TIME!!! I'm the one who will have to take him to the ER, sit with him while he itches and cries that his legs hurt, and deal with the GI problems!!!!!

I just felt so pressured and harassed. I didn't give in, but seriously considered it. :( From what I've read on several allergy boards a LOT of people deal with this. WHY?!?!?! It just doesn't make any sense to me why anyone would pressure a parent about allergy foods! I know it's because most people just don't get it, but it stinks! LOL!

Have you guys dealt with this? Have you ever done it? When is it encouragement? When is it harassment? What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment