Tuesday, March 29, 2011

special not so special?

Okay so today I want to talk about how having food allergies makes you or your kid special in a not always so special way.

It can make you feel alone and singled out. Not only do you have the frustrations of the food allergies themselves, but then you have to constantly tell people no you can't eat the same thing as them, you can't do the same activity, you can't, you can't.

Did you know one of the main reasons diets fail is because it ostracizes a person from their peers....You can't eat out with them, drink with them(if you drink) you can't go get ice cream together...people don't want to be left out.

So what do you do when you have no choice? When being like everyone causes hives, itching, belly problems or even worse....risk of death?

First realize it's food and food does not need to define you.
Secondly find other things to do!
Thirdly find a way to make safe food that EVERYONE can enjoy.
Try being open with your friends and family so that they can find thing that are safe for you! Most people really will want to help!!!! And they might not be comfortable asking questions.

We do eggs with tiny army men in them for Easter instead of candy. I volunteer to make a food for every single class party and event. Gabe and another boy in his class LOVE that there is always something they can have and that no one else realizes is special for only them. I try my hardest to match anything the class does. (not always easy, but always inspiring!)

So basically what I'm trying to say is...it isn't always so special to be special. It can make you feel bad, but even when it's not always fun remember that it's making you a stronger person, it's teaching you to be responsible for what you do, for what you eat and to be considerate of others. It is making you a strong, intelligent, amazing person! And when all else fails, go pick up some treat that is pre made and that are safe for you to eat and enjoy like everyone else ;)

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog after someone on the corn allergy Facebook group recommended your marshmallow recipe. Your recipes totally rock! I have a 4 year old allergic to corn, wheat, eggs, peanuts, and buckwheat so your recipes are right down our alley. Thank you so much for posting your recipes on a blog to make life easier for others traveling down the same road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thank you so much. My blog has been sadly lacking lately with the crazy summer. But you just reminded me of why I did this blog. I have hopes of getting everything together to make a cookbook. I need to get back in the kitchen! I've never run into a buckwheat allergy. Is it difficult to avoid or is it normally pretty well marked? What kind of reactions does your son have? What have you found to be the hardest part? Any good parts? HUGS! It's so nice to know we aren't alone. Also it's even nicer to hear that this page is helping someone. I'll admit I've been slacking because I thought I was just doing it for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete